• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp. kosher salt
• 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
• 2/3 cups granulated sugar
• 1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk for brushing
• 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract, or almond extract (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375° and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
2. In a medium bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. Add egg and almond or vanilla extract if using and beat until combined. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat until just combined.
3. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk with one teaspoon water. Roll dough out evenly between two sheets of parchment paper, about 1/4″ thick, and chill for 10 minutes. Punch out rounds with a cookie cutter, placing them about 1″ apart on baking sheet. Use the tines of a fork to create a “+” pattern on the cookies, then brush tops of the cookies with egg wash. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until edges are beginning to turn golden. Cool completely before serving.